It's a New Day
I've recovered from my fugue state of last week. I'm still pissed, but there's nothing much that I can do.
One lasting effect of my past week is that I am supposed to begin my TA stint for "Self-editing for Fiction Writers" this week and the assignment that I gave my students last week was really hard. The assignment is to rewrite three paragraphs that "tell" into paragraphs that "show." They were exercises from the book, so I took the easy way out and assigned them.
Well, I went through it today and I couldn't even do it! They must hate me. Whatever, right? I was on an anti-anxiety Lorazepam high.
I decided I'd give them this in-class assignment to make up for it, sort of put myself out there. They will split into small groups and edit my stuff. Then we'll regroup and share. I'll tell them the real story and we'll talk about how editing fiction is one thing, but if this were a real news story, they'd have to defer to the author and make suggestions... or something like that. Here it is:
If she had it to do over, Betzy would not have had the students do the exercises at the end of the first chapter. But the week prior to class was a stressful time for her -- especially Monday. The day started out with the sadness and anger that usually accompanied September 11th and ended with the stress of being robbed. This left her in a sort of fugue state for the rest of the week and, consequently, she put less thought into the assignment that she normally would have.
We'll see how it goes. Then again, maybe I'll just pretend I didn't think the assignment was hard.
I bought an Emmy three episode VHS tape of the Chris Isaak Show off of EBay. LOVE that show, but the shirt for brains people at fka Showtime won't release the series on DVD. I paid 36 bucks, it's really grainy and totally worth it. Anyway, I'm going to go watch it now.
Stats: 165/150/135
One lasting effect of my past week is that I am supposed to begin my TA stint for "Self-editing for Fiction Writers" this week and the assignment that I gave my students last week was really hard. The assignment is to rewrite three paragraphs that "tell" into paragraphs that "show." They were exercises from the book, so I took the easy way out and assigned them.
Well, I went through it today and I couldn't even do it! They must hate me. Whatever, right? I was on an anti-anxiety Lorazepam high.
I decided I'd give them this in-class assignment to make up for it, sort of put myself out there. They will split into small groups and edit my stuff. Then we'll regroup and share. I'll tell them the real story and we'll talk about how editing fiction is one thing, but if this were a real news story, they'd have to defer to the author and make suggestions... or something like that. Here it is:
If she had it to do over, Betzy would not have had the students do the exercises at the end of the first chapter. But the week prior to class was a stressful time for her -- especially Monday. The day started out with the sadness and anger that usually accompanied September 11th and ended with the stress of being robbed. This left her in a sort of fugue state for the rest of the week and, consequently, she put less thought into the assignment that she normally would have.
We'll see how it goes. Then again, maybe I'll just pretend I didn't think the assignment was hard.
I bought an Emmy three episode VHS tape of the Chris Isaak Show off of EBay. LOVE that show, but the shirt for brains people at fka Showtime won't release the series on DVD. I paid 36 bucks, it's really grainy and totally worth it. Anyway, I'm going to go watch it now.
Stats: 165/150/135

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home